English as a Second Language (ESL)
Improve your reading, writing, grammar, listening and speaking abilities in English.
English can be a key to success in your career and daily life. North Lake offers a variety of classes tailored to meet both your schedule and your educational goals.
Classes focus on the specific skills our students want to improve:
- Integrated Skills courses – these courses combine grammar, reading, listening and speaking in one interactive course. Class time is divided so that students can practice and assimilate material.
- Listening & Speaking courses – these courses focus on these two vital communication skills, giving students ample opportunity to converse, learn cultural norms and interact in class.
- Pronunciation courses – these courses target the difficult speech sounds and patterns of American English. They enhance students’ ability to be understood and to speak clearly and precisely.
- Workshops – these short courses are offered throughout the year and emphasize special topics such as vocabulary development, reading skills or computer skills.
- Take a free, short, written exam to determine placement in the program
- Register and pay before classes begin
- Purchase textbook and workbook (for most classes)
- Attend at least 70% of class time to receive a certificate
Three convenient locations:
- Central Campus, 5001 N. MacArthur Blvd., Las Colinas
- South Campus, 1081 W. Shady Grove Road, South Irving
- North Campus, 101 Royal Lane, Coppell
How to join:
- For ESL at Central Campus, visit the International Center office in room A418.
- For ESL at our North Campus in Coppell, or our South Campus in southern Irving, go straight to the Admissions office at the campus you choose.
ESL courses provide instruction for beginners through intermediate:
- Qualified instructors, who are all native English speakers
- Classes vary in length from four to eight weeks
- Classes begin each month and are available mornings, evenings and on the weekends
- Certificate of completion will be awarded for each course
- Financial aid is available for those who qualify
Intensive English Program
For international students looking to study in the United States and learn college-level English language skills quickly, our Intensive English Program
will help with class placement and immigration services.